Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Year in Passing and Looking Ahead

Hello readers! I am back and am terribly sorry for leaving you last year! Life got a little crazy for me between immigration, coaching, running, moving into a new home and starting a new job. Here is a little update about what I was up to and the exciting news of what will be happening shortly…. 

A big relief and satisfying moment for me last summer was passing the Registered Dietitian exam. It feels pretty great after having to complete a 4-year degree and 12 month dietetic internship to even be allowed to take the exam! Later on last summer I started teaching at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Overall, I really enjoyed the experience, learned a lot and grew personally. I taught a liberal studies course, “Nutrition and Wellness,” which covered not only nutrition, but other aspects and dimensions of wellness. I was teaching full-time in the fall and therefore found it very challenging to be able to run and train for a half marathon (let alone this was my first ‘real’ experience teaching). After the holiday break I was teaching only part-time and found the time to train for the 2011 Pittsburgh Half Marathon. I ran this race the year before and was hoping to break my time of 1:31:58. Unfortunately, I ended up running 6 seconds slower. However, I don’t know what I was expecting to run considering I did the same training for the same amount of time (not even a full year, only 4 months) as I had the year before and they changed the course around. I suppose I should look at it positively and consider consistency a good thing. Of course it was a great experience, a lot of fun and I can’t even describe to you the amount of positive energy you feel from everyone running and cheering you on, which is why I continue to do these races! One aspect I greatly missed in the fall and spring was being unable to help coach cross country and track. Time just wasn’t on my side while I was teaching, but I made a huge effort to make it to the meets to cheer the athletes on!

Looking ahead…
I have always felt that opportunities are what you make of them and that sometimes you have to look outside the box and observe that there are opportunities available if you’re willing to take hold and work! And so, I am very excited to share with you the opportunities that lie ahead for me.
Coaching- This past spring I was hired on as an assistant cross country coach for the team I had been volunteering with over the past few years. I am very, very excited about this position! We have been running our once a week “fun runs” and the athletes have been doing their summer training. We begin our two week cross country camp soon, followed by our summer cross country race and pre-season training. There is nothing like cross country and I am very proud to be working with such a great group of athletes and successful head coach, whom I have been learning a lot from!
Work- I have heard recently that I will be once again teaching “Nutrition and Wellness” at IUP. This was a huge relief considering the proposed budget cuts and financial status of state schools.  I am excited to be teaching again and have learned the areas I need to improve upon, which I will be anxious to see the results of what I change. 

However, the real big news is that I am planning on starting my own private practice! I need to get a few more items in place, but I hope to begin next month! I am quickly learning that it takes money to make money! I finally decided to do this after being contacted by local athletes requesting help with their diet and nutrition. After much deliberation, I felt that there could be a niche for a sports nutritionist in this area, since one does not exist. I always blocked the notion of having my own business, most likely due to the fact that both of my parents have their own businesses and I have seen the high’s and low’s.  I asked myself “why not?” I am feeling both excited and anxious, but see the opportunity! I have an office space in mind. My friends at the Gingerbreadman Running Company  have office space available, which will be a unique and beneficial experience for both businesses! Actually, this past spring I did 3 various sports nutrition talks at the Gingerbreadman store prior to their Thursday night fun run. Hopefully this is something we can continue!  I will keep you all posted on my progress! In the meantime check out the Gingerbreadman Running Co website, you can make purchases on-line! I recommend a Gingerbreadman T-shirt!

Other exciting news is that I will be presenting sports nutrition information and running with cross country runners in a week and a half at the Eastern States Cross Country Camp.  Eastern States Cross Country camp is a premier camp on the east coast, attracting runners from about 7 different states. I am extremely excited about this opportunity since I will be doing two things I love, teaching nutrition and running! I am also excited to meet the camp special guest, U.S.A.  distance standout, James Carney!
I may also be working with both Millersville and Mansfield University cross country teams during their pre-season training. And I am scheduled to present sports nutrition information at the 2012 PIAA State Track and Field Championship Coaches’ and Athletes’ Clinic.
As for my running, I am still setting personal goals. I signed up to run the Corning Wineglass Half Marathon  . This is the first year they are doing a half marathon and I am super pumped about it, since their website states how fast their course is. I would be very happy to break 1:30, but feel a little nervous considering the race is approaching fast!

I will continue to keep you all posted about the upcoming opportunities and of course will continue to blog about nutrition. Keep an eye out this week for the roasted salsa recipe I recently made and with this extreme heat and humidity will be discussing hydration!
Keep active, nourish yourself and set goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment